Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Week of January 26th

This week proved to be jam-packed full of learning, reading, book talks and much more.  Our district hosted a Professional Development day and I was able to spend a great deal of time with fellow librarians.  I walked away with several ideas for new lessons, materials and inspiration for the upcoming month (before we head to Mid-Winter Break). 

I'd like give a shout out the amazing presenters at this PD - Woot WOOT!  Thanks to Judy, Arika and Kim, we were introduced to an incredibly powerful movement to promote diversity in our books! 


Check out this website for more information:

#WENEEDDIVERSEBOOKS

I realized, as I walked away from today that I wanted my own two children (Miss E, a preschooler and Mr. G, a toddler)  to be exposed to a variety of genres, topics, and authors.  Not only that, but my hope (for my very curious darlings) is to introduce them to books about all races, creeds, orientation, faith, disabilities, backgrounds and experiences.  As a mother, as a teacher and now as a LIBRARIAN...this is my wish for them. 

Now, onto Tuesday's day in school:

Third Grade & Fourth Grade:

I see 5 classes on Tuesdays (not including my Fifth Graders who come for check out).  Sometimes the mornings are bombastic - ok, most the mornings are like that with 4 classes back to back and hundreds of books tumbling in to be returned.  This is when our trusty volunteers are truly lifesavers!  What would I do without all the amazing family volunteers and help? 

Today's lesson consisted of a continuation of the Digital Citizenship and inquiry into the online reader "eBooks".  By using our database, students have access to online readers and today we walked through how to utilize this program.  Besides gaining access to books (that otherwise might be all checked out from circulation that week), kids are able to read AND listen to the stories. Best part about it?  IT'S FREE!  Simply ask your child to log into the My Quest website and enter our "Follett Shelf" of online eBooks!  Look below for step-by-step directions:

Have a great week!!
-Mrs. Bethel


No comments:

Post a Comment