Monday, November 3, 2014

Welcome To the Library

Greetings Readers (and students, and parents and educators)...

I’m writing this very first LIBRARY blog entry on a blustery Monday morning in November.  It’s hard to believe that I’ve spent nine (yes, 9!!!) weeks working in the Library and have yet to find my way to posting to my blog.  Well.  This is it:  My first blog as a LIBRARIAN.  (Eek). 

This is my job.  Sharing books (and Information Literacy with kids).  I have the amazing opportunity to share the journey a book can take you on:
 
 

Yes.  Reading was my lifeline as a child.  I absorbed myself into as many books as I could.  At one moment wishing I could invent a way to read and swiftly make it to the bus on time (roller skates with a robotic arm attached to my head holding the book with side mirrors?)  Reading takes you to places you’d never dreamed you could go.  Reading helps you escape.  Reading gives you hope, drive and inspiration to take on a task so big (crazy, wild, hair-brained) that you’d never thought you might accomplish.  How lucky am I that I get to spend ALL my time (ok, only Mondays and Tuesdays right now) sharing the love of reading with kids?    
My hope for this blog is to share about the many adventures we’ve encountered in the Library.  The plan (and of course we all know what happens when you try to make a plan)… is to post weekly with the following topics:

·         Lessons for First, Third and Fourth Graders

·         Top 3 books for the week

·        Trials and tribulations of a Librarian (I mean, wearing cardigan sweaters and reading stories out loud to students might sound horrifying to one person...but let me tell you a thing or two)

I leave you with a thought from one of my favorite authors.  This resonates with me when a child (or adult for that matter) tells me “Oh, I don’t care much for reading” or “eh, reading isn’t my thing”.  I fondly remember what this incredible author said:

“If you don’t like to read, you haven’t found the right book yet.” JK Rowling
 
This is my quest for the year:  Help that student (who loathes reading) find the RIGHT book.  When I read (and reread what JK Rowling said), it appears so simple, but it's layered with complexity, emotion and is really quite a feat.  So, JOIN me in our adventures this year in the Library and stay tuned for how the journey unfolds!
-Mrs. Bethel

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment